Monday, July 7, 2008

Welcome to Adulthood

I just turned 25.

25.

When I say this, I tend to get little more than rolled eyes and small groans from all those around me. Still, to me, this is a bit of a mountain I just climbed. My car insurance went down. I will finally be recognized as a customer to Hertz and Avis. (Why is it that 25 is a year of car-related milestones?) I am a quarter of a century.

With the advent of my 25th birthday, I decided that it is time for a change. I am not exactly new to the blog circuit. I have spent a good part of the last five years sending my daily thoughts out to the webternet to be read by any and all. My last journal, though, was somewhat… hopeless. I used to post daily, and the entries went something like this:

“Oh, woe is me! My boyfriend doesn’t love me! I can’t understand why he doesn’t spend all day pining for me like I do him! Life is so hard for me! I’m a college student and I’m witty and I’m cynical and I want to start living my life instead of going to class! Waaaaah!”

Now, life is a bit different. I like to think that I’m a bit different. I am getting married. I am figuring out my life. I’m doing more observing and more reading and finding joy in the little things like planting a garden and repainting a bathroom. Not to say that I no longer have woe is me days. They’re just far fewer and more intense, as they now involve my poor fiancĂ©e (who knows what he wants to do with his life, and is well on his way to doing it).
Regardless of what I have to say here in the following weeks, months, and years, this is what you should know about me:

I love books. I read as often as I can muster – lunch hours, bedtime, after work, during work (only on desperately boring days).

I make killer mac and cheese, but beyond that, my culinary skills are only mediocre. I can follow a recipe, but I hate to clean up after my kitchen adventures.

I don’t watch TV. At least in the “normal” way. We don’t have cable. Or an antenna. We have the internet and Netflix, and if a show isn’t on ABC.com’s full-length episodes, it’s almost positive I haven’t seen it. Nor do I want to.

My job is filled with wonderful, kind people who treat me very well, but I do not like what I do. I am on the search for something new, but I can’t invest in anything until I know what I am brave enough to pursue.

I write. I write like most people breathe. I feel a certain suffocation when I haven’t written in a while. I have ideas and inspirations that lead me nowhere, and ultimately I end up back here, writing about how hard it is to write. But still, I write.

At the end of a terrible day, my Goyo will crawl into bed with me and let me cry. This is why I love him. He kisses tears away, and reminds me that we have a beautiful life to come, filled with love and laughter and fairytales that spirit away all the bad days.

I am logical, rational and typically very safe in my choices in life. Someday soon I’m going to have to take that leap into the unknown and do something risky in order to have the life I want. I’m not sure I’m ready, but I’m looking forward to it.


On this page, I've linked some of the people whose lives I would like to try out now and then. They're glamorous without all the pomp and circumstance of knowing they're glamorous. Read and enjoy, and you'll understand why I have serious blog envy for them.

1 comment:

karey m. said...

i don't know how to type in the sound i'm trying to make...it's like awww and wow and ohhh all together.

you are a killer writer. i wonder what you wrote before? i bet i would've liked it. you can't hide that sort of writing.

thank you for your compliment. i don't deserve it. but i enjoyed the heck out of it. thank you.