Sunday, October 26, 2008

A Decision and Some News


I've had an idea for a novel knocking around my computer for about a year now. I've even written about 3000 words of it. I've done some research, read parts of a book about the chosen subject matter, made plans to include the information in a longer, fictionalized story.


And those 3000 words have sat on a thumb drive for that year, not doing much more than collecting virtual dust.


November is National Novel Writing Month, or NaNoWriMo to the veterans, and after wanting to participate for the last two years, I think I finally will. The goal is to write 50,000 words in a single month. That equates to about 1700 words a day. This is hard, but not impossible, especially if one has a very boring month at work, as I am wont to do.


So, I'm going to do it. I'm going to take my idea and finally turn it into something more. To make it into 53,000 words (because I'm not going to cheat and only write 47,000; the goal is 50,000 words in a month, and that's what I will do). So, as of November 1, I will begin my task. I only hope I'm not so hungover on the day after Halloween that I miss out on the first day of my task.


In other news, I was accepted to the graduate program I applied for. Starting in January, I will begin my studies in Library and Information Science, and be on my way to a career as a librarian. It's comforting, knowing I have a direction. That in just a couple of years, I will have a master's degree, which is something I've wanted since my sophomore year in college. Masters' degrees are like the new bachelors' degrees.

Cara Barer does amazing things with books. Things I only wish I could do.

3 comments:

loritamic said...

Yea! You can do it! I so can't wait to read your novel on Dec. 1 when you are ready to have it published! :) I love reading your journal, so I know this will be spectacular. What are you and Greg doing for Halloween? Josh, Abby and I are going as a family of kitty cats (Abby's choice). Hahaha. Aristocats, anyone?

loritamic said...

Oh ya...and congrats on being accepted and going forward with getting a master's. You're such a nerd...(said in a loving manner).

Moon Rocket said...

Those are BOOKS?! OMG, I totally would NEVER have guessed!

Good luck with NaNoWriMo! It's a bit ambitious for me. I still have our elf story sitting on my hard drive, lol. I was hoping posting what we already had written on my website would spur creative flow, but...eh... :P