Tuesday, October 28, 2008

A NaNo Update - And not of the Mork and Mindy Variety

I’ve been doing a bit of prewriting for NaNoWriMo (which I found out is totally allowed on the NaNoWriMo website.)

I’m going to be honest here: I’ve already begun this novel. I have 3,000 words written, but they’re 3,000 words I’m not in love with. So, instead of bending the rules (as I had initially planned) and just adding 50,000 words to a story that’s already begun, I will put that 3,000 words away for a rainy day and begin from scratch. Same outline, same plot development, same characters, but a fresh start. A 50,000 word re-write of my 3,000 words of pointlessness.

I’ve been imagining this story in my head for about a year now, and even went so far as to read a couple of books at the library for reference, and buy a book that details the exact subject matter. And that subject matter is, you ask? Well, call me paranoid, but I’m keeping that to myself for a while. Exactly why, I’m not sure. I think maybe there’s a little tiny mustard seed of faith in the depths of my bowels that believes I might actually have a publishable story on my hands. If I do, I want it to be my story. Original. Untainted by the comments of others.

When I was a kid, I had an inability to keep my writing a secret. I told everyone everything about what I wrote. I let people read half-finished poems and ill-conceived short stories that were never quite done. I still have this insatiable desire to let people read my writing (as evidenced by my blog addiction), but I’m forcing some regulations on myself. If I swear that no one will read this novel until it is ready to be sent to a publishing company for certain rejection, maybe – just maybe – I will finally finish something I started.

The only person other than me who knows the concept of this novel is Greg, and he could hardly help knowing. He’s been watching me read books about the subject, and that certainly gives a little bit away. Plus, well, I’m too much of a loudmouth to keep anything to myself.


I'm going to get back to outlining - er - I mean work now.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Thanks for this whole NaNo thing. You're inspiring me. I may write 50,000 words myself. I may even read something that's not on a computer screen. May.

God knows the world needs more of my words. But, seriously, I think we are better off when the writers write. [There are a half dozen ways I want to end this paragraph and they are all potentially horribly creepy. I leave it to your imagination. Go ahead: think your worst.]

I'm looking forward to the book.