Tuesday, November 18, 2008

NaNo Update - Still not of the Mork and Mindy variety


I suppose, since we’re past the middle of the month, it’s time for a NaNoWriMo update. I have to say, it’s not going horribly, but it’s not exactly going fantastically, either. It’s somewhere in the middle of those two. Maybe horrtastically? Or fanoribly?

I should – according to my spreadsheet – be at 30,000 words by the end of the day. Instead, I will be more around… 22,000. Now, granted, that’s a LOT of words to have written in only 18 days, but if I want to “win” this thing, I’m going to have to pick up the pace. That’s right, I’m going to have to shun my work more, make myself seem more flighty and ignore my dog. And my husband. And the terrible Sirens of Desperate Housewives and Grey’s Anatomy that sing to me from abc.com.

The story is progressing okay, I suppose, but it’s definitely taken a few too many cliché turns. When I first started writing, I wanted it to be filled with meaning. To be a book that has an English major like me is writing all over the margins, drawing connections between this and that metaphor, with multiple explanation points and words that are not only underlined, but also circled and highlighted and starred. My goal was a cross between A Handmaid’s Tale and Poisonwood Bible, but it’s coming out more like a slightly serious Princess Diaries. Blah. (No offense Meg Cabot. Cute series; just not what I was going for with this.)

Oh well. I suppose I will create all those metaphors when I do the first revision, right? They’ll just appear suddenly without me having to rewrite 30,000 words of my 50,000-word novel.

Keep your fingers crossed for me.
Photo from ffffound.com

No comments: