Thursday, November 20, 2008

Seven Things


Kelly at Design Crush tagged everyone who read her blog, so I considered myself tagged, because, well, I like talking about myself. So, here are seven things you might not have known about me:

..1..
I can only have my bed exist in two states – unmade or made perfectly. There is no in between. I don’t throw the covers up and call it good; I have to straighten the sheets, make sure there’s an even amount of covers on each side, that the pillows are arranged well, and that there aren’t any crinkles anywhere. Greg gets annoyed when he helps me make the bed, as it results in me saying more than once – “No! It’s wrinkled! Make it pretty!!” …Our bed doesn’t get made very often.

..2..
I once met Laura Bush (when she was first lady of Texas) for writing a poem about a library and winning a school-wide contest. I was in seventh grade, but it still makes me happy to think that my poem won. In fact, I kept the trophy I received, as cheap and tawdry as it was. And as much as I disliked the Bush Administration, I think I had an equal amount of love and respect for Laura Bush for have such a dedication to libraries.

..3..
I’m not grossed out by very many things; blood, guts, vomit, smells… they just don’t get to me. But you even talk about spit, and I feel myself working up a gag. The consistency, the sound, the resulting… oh, geez. I’m gagging right now.

..4..
If I could mimic the style of anyone, it would be Audrey Hepburn. In fact, if I could just have her body, her face and that elegantly long neck, it would make it just that much easier. I’m holding out for full-body transplants.

..5..
Baby animals and baby humans (or just "babies" if I don't want to sound so creepy) make me smile. I love watching them, how they figure things out and just toddle around. I could stand all day and watch a puppy. But the moment I begin playing with one of these adorable creatures, I begin to like them less. I prefer pictures and videos. They can't poop on me.

..6..
I feel like I have superpowers sometimes, because I often have the uncanny ability to make an estimation and arrive at the exact right number. It happens all the time. I’ll get exactly 28 sheets of paper when I grab a stack to count out 28 sheets of paper. I’ll grab just the right amount of hangers for my clothes when I do the laundry. I’m not sure yet whether to use these powers for good or evil. I’m still on the fence.

..7..
My grandmother died when I was 11. I don’t believe in ghosts, but a lot of times I do believe she’s still with us somehow. She and I had some sort of cosmic connection, one that we didn’t get to explore while she was still alive. The day before she died, my parents and I were leaving her house in Arkansas to drive back home to Oklahoma. I was laying in the back of the car and considered faking sleep so I wouldn’t have to get up and say goodbye. And then something inside of me said, “What if this was the last time you ever saw her?” I’m not sure why, at 11, such a morbid thought occurred to me, but I’m glad it did. I will never be more grateful for anything in my life than I am for that feeling that made me get up, give her a great big hug and tell her how much I loved her.

1 comment:

Joel said...

This was nice. It made me so happy I could spit. :-p

Seriously. I like this whole random personal thing. I've tagged Christine but she hasn't done it yet.