Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Ahead of the Game?

You know how I said I would be productive?

Well, I came, I saw, and I was indeed productive.

So productive, in fact, that I am now decidedly without a list of things to do at work. This is what happens when I am productive. The next few days become an exercise in extreme boredom. So, today, to battle this extreme boredom, I am planning next week.

This year, since Greg and I are married, we decided we wanted to share our first Christmas as a family with both of our extended families. So on Christmas Day, both sets of parents will be coming to our house and enjoying Christmas with us. We’ve been decorating the house, cleaning the corners and wrapping gifts for the last couple of weeks. And I have been scouring the Pioneer Woman’s
webpage, carefully crafting the Christmas menu. This is a woman who knows how to celebrate her holidays.

Our menu so far:

Ham*
Pineapple Dressing**
Whiskey-Glazed Carrots

Fresh Corn with Wild Rice
Turnip Gratin (The alternative to potatoes this year.)
Pearl’s Rolls***
Caramel Pumpkin Gingersnap Cheesecake

Pecan Pie (courtesy of Greg’s grandmother)

The only thing missing is “something green” as my mother says, so I’m thinking either this asparagus
or these green beans. The jury is still out on that one.

I’m looking forward to cooking this year. It’s going to be quite a task, as I work every day but Christmas Day, so I’m going to enlist Greg’s able hands to do some of the prep work while he’s relaxing around the house those days. Wish me luck. This has all the potential to be a great disaster.



* I have no recipe for ham yet. I had planned on getting a honey-baked ham, but after looking at the prices, I quickly retreated from that one. Let me know if you have a good suggestion!
** The recipe for this comes from a woman I called my “second mother” in high school. She passed away recently, so I feel that the only tribute I can truly give her is to continue to make this recipe over and over, remembering how wonderful it was when she made it with her own two hands. My real mother couldn’t get over how much she enjoyed it. It’s that good.
*** Pearl’s rolls are a family tradition. They’ve been passed down from grandmother to niece to daughter to distant cousin. The recipe is probably no different than most rolls, but just knowing that it was scratched out by my Great-aunt Pearl makes them taste just a little better.

1 comment:

Joel said...

Your blog usually makes me smile but this time especially, with your reference to the pineapple stuffing. Christine and I will see Deb's parents this weekend; I think they'll be happy to hear that the tradition is spreading. :-)