Monday, December 22, 2008

A Christmas Whine


One of the hardest transitions about the non-academic world is the holiday schedule.

When I worked my previous job at the University of Oklahoma, we had a glorious vacation from work every holiday. Christmas and New Year's usually warranted a week and a half. All major holidays were also included – Good Friday, MLK Day, Labor Day, the Fourth of July. But the best part was always Thanksgiving and Christmas. It was nice to get such a good break during the winter months. Time to spend with your family. Time to recoop and reenergize and start the year fresh.

When you work in healthcare, holidays almost don’t exist. I’m lucky because I work in healthcare administration, and not as a nurse on the floor. Those poor saps are lucky if they have any holiday off ever. I at least get one day each for Christmas, Thanksgiving and New Year's.

Yes, that’s right. One measly day. So this year, because of the way the calendar fell, that means I have three Thursdays off, three months in a row, and then have to be back in on Friday morning. It’s a total drag. I’m not going to lie. And I hate it almost as much as I hate the sound of someone spitting or the guy who stands too close to you when you’re in line at the bank.

The one good thing about all of this is that most of the higher-ups will also be out of the office, so rather than apply myself on those quiet days, I will take full advantage of my ability to slack off. I will bring my Nintendo DS (lay off – I’m a nerd, and the games are totally fun), and I will play Brain Age and Animal Crossing and ignore the fact that the rest of the free world is doing what is only right and sleeping off the egg nog from the night before.


Image from Studio583art's photostream

No comments: