Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Getting a Corner Office


Our house is somewhat small. Big enough for the two of us, physically, but somewhat small for our creative mental space.

I need a place to create. To be quiet. To feel inspired. Right now, I don’t have a place like that. Our office has gotten appropriated by my husband, which I completely understand. His work requires a large computer and a workspace. I feel more than happy to surrender our office to him so he can work on his art (shameless plug here for www.gregtatum.com), but it leaves me without a place to feel I can write and create. And study.

So, my current project has been to carve out a place that I can call my own in our house. A place where I can settle down and create. I can’t share a space with Greg because, well, if we’re in the room together, I won’t be able to concentrate like I want to. I need my own space. And a wall where I can create an inspiration board, and keep a few books that bring good things out of me.

My first order of business was to find a desk, which I’ve found (picture above taken by the seller on Craigslist). It’s a child’s desk, I think, but big enough for me, and at just $30, I couldn't resist the solid wood construction. When I bought it, it was bright green with miniature baseball bat handles. Over the weekend, I sanded it down and primed it. I bought some lovely charcoal-colored paint and simple, silver handles to replace the old ones. Greg modified the desk a bit to allow for more laptop space, and by the end of the week, I hope to have the desk installed in our living room. I’ve found a corner with two windows (the light is lovely and bright there until the sun finally goes down). It overlooks the backyard, which allows me to sit and watch as my puppy traipses around the yard, sniffing and tasting everything.

I’ve been taking pictures as the project progresses. I hope to have the final coat of paint on the desk this evening, and install the desk before the end of the week. I’ll post the pictures as soon as I’ve got my “corner office” up and operational!

4 comments:

Arlynn said...

Yay! I'm excited for your very own work space, I'll bet it will be perfect & I can't wait to see the "after" pictures!!!

hinchu said...

You know you can't share a space with me because of all the random noises I make. Whistling, humming, making clicking noises with my throat, holding my breath while I'm thinking, etc, etc, etc.

Jenn said...

Yes, see, I was trying to be nice. But you just opened up a whole can of worms. I will now write about all your noises. And I do mean ALL.

Susan said...

I liked it, you can find more Office Desks from spacify.