Monday, March 23, 2009

Keeping the ADHD in check

Old Fart Update: He's doing much better. Greg and I went to visit him yesterday and - while he did get to go home - he was readmitted to the hospital. Confusion, fever and overall feebleness proved too much for my mother-in-law (who needs an appropriate bloggy name...). The good news is that when we went to visit, he was wide awake the entire time, watching the basketball game on TV, called Greg by his childhood nickname, and even made a few jokes. That man is rarely without a smile on his face, which is good to see. I'm not sure what the future holds, so we'll just have to wait it out and see what decisions are made.

School Update: It's getting to that point in the semester where I'm starting to panic just the slightest bit. I'm realizing how much I have yet to do, and how much focus I'm going to have to have soon. I've been slacking, now that the excitement of being newly enrolled has worn off. If someone could send some Adderal at this point, it might be helpful.

Desk Update: I've got my desk in place, and I'm trying to get the space decorated in such a way that I love it. As soon as I've got that accomplished, I'll get pictures up. Hopefully this week. It may take a year. Who knows?

Random Note: I sat in a meeting this morning in which the executives thoroughly discussed reimbursement rates, marketing strategies, and other hardcore business topics. In the midst of it, I suddenly realized that I never wanted to be one of those people discussing those things. I don't want to talk about conversion and reimbursement and commercial markets. I want to talk about how to dessiminate information to a neglected group of university students. I want to talk about how libraries function. I want to talk about books and journals and shelving and subverting university politics. When something makes you miss the politics of an academic institution, you know you're really in the wrong place... Remind me of that in ten years, will you?

No comments: