Tuesday, March 17, 2009

Old Fart Update

So, it turns out it wasn’t a stroke (which is good), but instead may be dementia (which seems just as bad). A preliminary MRI showed a lot of degeneration in his brain, especially those parts that hold the personality.

The Old Fart is resting comfortably at the hospital, but he’s still very confused. He recognizes his family, but doesn’t understand where he is or what’s going on. His daughter (my mother in law) is there with him, making sure he’s taken care of. It’s such a hard situation. She lost her mother 5 years ago, and over the last couple of years, The Old Fart has slowly lost bit by bit of his ability to interact with his family.

I don’t know what to hope for now. I guess what I hope for is that the Old Fart will still be happy through all this. Dementia can cause aggression and anger, since it’s affecting the personality, but sometimes people remain complacent and calm. I just want him to be happy, drink his wine and feel good about his life, even if he’s not always sure exactly what’s going on. (That sounds like most of my weekends, coincidentally.)

Greg and I might visit him tonight, if he’s still in the hospital. Greg didn’t want to go yesterday – he has a pretty strong aversion to hospitals. And I don’t blame him one bit for it.

No comments: