Friday, March 6, 2009

On Vacation in My Mind


(You'll have to forgive me. This post was written last week, but is just now being posted...)


Some days are worse than others at work. Yesterday was one of the not so good days. It was the one day each quarter that Richie Rich, our founder, and all of his minions descend upon the building and hold the entire executive team hostage for 6 hours under the guise of a “board meeting.”

Of course, I love Richie Rich. He’s a class act in a lot of ways, but in a lot of other ways, he’s demanding of his people. It’s the reason our company has grown so successfully over the years. I respect, admire, and ultimately fear him. After all, if he decided he didn’t like the way I did my job, one word from him and I’m fired. So, when he requests 4 double-shots of espresso and two cappuccinos from our cafeteria, four hours after they’ve shut down and cleaned the espresso machine, you make it happen. As quickly as possible. It’s nerve wracking. Like Top Chef, without any culinary expertise whatsoever.

So I spend my day expecting someone to come out of the meeting, requesting a three-ring circus to be rounded up and assembled in the front lobby. And I’d have to figure out how to do it. And probably clean up after the Elephants afterward. On the plus side, the day passes extremely quickly, and when I finally left last night at 6:10, I still felt like I had only just woken up. Maybe it’s because I was groggy and exhausted, but whatever.

As a result, I am wiped out today. I have no energy for anything, and so my mind is planning a vacation. In November, Greg and I will take a nice, week-long break from the world (I hope). I’ve been going back and forth on what we should do. First it was Disney, but the more I think about it, the more I realize that Disney will be a great vacation when we have kids, so we might as well do some of the vacations we want to do without kids while we can.

So I’ve been thinking about a cruise. I’ve never been on one, and it sounds kind of nice. Lounging by the pool, walking around the deck, not having to worry about carrying your purse everywhere you go…

This is the conundrum – we need a romantic vacation – a way to celebrate our first full year of marriage. We need one that won’t break the bank (which most of the vacations I want will certainly do that), and that will be somewhat reliable. I, personally, don’t want to have to do a whole lot of worrying and fussing, because I want to be on vacation when I’m on vacation. I plan for months so that the week of the vacation I can relax and enjoy myself.

I think the bottom line may be that I’ll have to wait until this summer to start planning, because I don’t know what my class schedule will look like. I don’t want to schedule a vacation that will end up running right over the top of a test or a big paper that’s due.

In the meantime, Greg and I are planning a few little vacations here and there. A long weekend for his birthday, driving through Oklahoma on Route 66. A weekend in Dallas, to go to IKEA and visit with some friends. Camping trips with my parents, and weekends at the lake with Greg’s parents.

I’m glad these are the problems I have…
Picture from here via ffffound.com

No comments: