Thursday, April 9, 2009

Binge and Purge

For the last several years I’ve been binging. Not on food (well… sometimes…), but on stuff. As I’ve gotten a good job that pays well, had low cost of living and gotten more space in the house, I’ve started collecting things that don’t have any reason to be in my home. The worst part is that this collection of stuff is not only in my house, but in my parents’ house, too.

So, after years of binging, it’s time to purge. To go through all those things I’ve collected and decide if they have purpose in my life anymore. And I’m going to have to be very careful about assigning “sentimental value” to things.

I’m one of those people who loses memories unless they’re associated with a piece of music or an item. But when I hear that music, or when I see that item, everything I’ve forgotten is suddenly there again. I have this fear that getting rid of the item will result in the loss of that memory. But some of the things are just so crappy, or so stupid, that I need to remember that I’m making new memories every day. I’m in a new family. Some of these things can go in the trash or to someone else for new memories.

This weekend, I’m making purging part of my goal. I’m going to start with closets – the place where I shove everything out of sight so I can go on about my business, ignoring its existence. I will make four piles: Trash, Craigslist, Goodwill, and keep. For my “Keep” pile, I’m going to follow a precedent set by my hubby. He bought a large Tupperware tub and made it into his “memory” box. It’s a big tub, so it’s not like trying to fit all your memories in a shoebox. My goal this weekend will be to reduce all the stuff I keep around the house by a great deal, and create my “memory” box for posterity. (Ideally, I’d like to sit down and write out stories about each item, but that might have to be a project for another day.)

So wish me luck as I downsize my life. (Poor things, even my dolls won’t escape the economic crisis.)

1 comment:

Sarah said...

When I moved out of my mom's house last July I had to do the same thing. I am one of those people too that holds onto things for the memory because I'm scared I will forget it if I give that item away. When I had to move out I started sifting through piles of stuff and realized that I can't take every little thing with me. I too created a large Tupperware storage container and named it my memory box. Now I conveniently have all my "memories in one place". I still have some things still left at my mom's and a few new things at my new place but it still feels good to have everything complied.

I'll let you on a little secret. It's not the easiest thing to do to sort through your "memories" but it feels really good in the end.

Hope this helps you out! Good Luck!