Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Take Once a Week, Through Eyes, Ears and Nose

I have a problem. Ssshhh – don’t tell my husband.

I love babies. Love them. And about a year ago, when Greg and I were getting close to marriage, and I began thinking about our family growing someday, my maternal instincts began to swell inside me. Suddenly, I wanted to have a little thing to love and take care of and to do my best to emulate my mother’s mothering for me.

But. I’m 25, freshly married and not at all financially in a place where we can begin saving for college/ballet lessons/private schools/sports equipment.

My brain and my uterus are at constant odds. They battle it out every day. My ribs take most of the beating.

As a deterrent for this, I baby-sit. I sit for the sister of a woman I used to nanny for when I was in college. (I use the term nanny very lightly – I was more like a much older sister who helped get the kids to clean their rooms and occasionally baby-sat.) The current children I baby-sit are very small, a one-year old and a three-year old. (Three? Or two? I can’t remember…)

This is the perfect birth control. Mostly because the one-year old seems to hate me. He does not want to hang out with me. At ALL. Picture screaming, writhing on the floor and other histrionics. It’s a sad sight, and I feel awful that he hasn’t warmed to me.

But then, last Monday I was playing Red Light/Green Light with Bam, the three-year old, and suddenly, Tank, the one-year old came toddling over and joined the game. He didn’t really understand it, of course, but he did notice that Bam would run to the door, then run to me and get tickled and thrown up in the air. So, he just emulated that. And for the first time, he played with me willingly, with a huge grin on his face.

Luckily, Bam then used this opportunity to throw a huge fit, get in a lot of trouble, run around half naked and cause a big scene. Thank goodness, or my uterus might have won the fight.

Best. Birth. Control. Ever.

1 comment:

Matt and Megan said...

I completely understand! Having a nephew & niece to play with is also a good alternative to having your own... but mine are far enough away (3 hrs) that the birth control doesn't work as long or as effectively as both Matt & I would like. :)