Saturday, June 20, 2009

The Mid-Year Resolution

I’m terrible with New Year’s resolutions. I rarely make them, and when I do, they’re very vague. Like, “I will exercise more this year” or “I will eat fewer sweets.” I try not to set myself up for failure. But then, I think it’s so easy to fail when it’s January 1, and you’re trying to get in gear for a new year, trying to put away the decorations from Christmas, and worrying about all the money you just spent.

So, this year, I have decided I will make my resolutions on my birthday. And I’ve already begun my first resolution:

I will bake something every week.

When we moved into the new house, I was astounded by all the baking supplies I have, as I had to unpack them all to a spot in the kitchen where they are now prominently displayed. I have enough pie plates to bake 7 pies at once. I have round cake pans to make a layered cake. I have loaf pans for bread, casserole dishes, half-casseroles and two rolling pins (one of which was passed down from Greg’s mother – a family heirloom, with a beautiful note – which we got for our wedding).

For my first week, I made a pecan pie. The crust was not as flaky as I would have liked, but it turned out well, I think. Last week, I made these, which I saw on Rachel's blog, Heart of Light:


Mind you, I burnt one of the batches, and some of them fell apart because I couldn’t keep the dough cool enough while I rolled it out and cut the cookies, but the ones that turned out well tasted really good. The Mister wasn’t as fond of them as I was – they weren’t overly sweet, but then I like deserts that are light and fluffy.

This week, the goal is banana bread. I’ve got two very ripe bananas awaiting my deft skills (HA!). I’ve used the same banana bread recipe for years, but I think it’s time to branch out. I may even add some nuts to it this time.

So, for the next 52 weeks, I plan to make something each and every week. Something from scratch. Something tasty that my husband and I can snack on all week, or that I can take in to work to share. In the end, I hope that my baking skills improve and that I become more confident when I’m creating a crust or a bread or delicate cookies. I also hope to chronicle my successes (and failures) here. This week will begin the official start of the resolution. Wish me luck!

4 comments:

loritamic said...

Yea! Baking! I love to bake. Let me know if you need any fun recipes. Desserts are my specialty.I also have an AMAZING banana bread recipe that is so moist it is umbelieveable. The secret ingredient is sour cream. Yes, sour cream. Trust me, it makes it so moist. Like sticks to your fork it's so moist and fluffy. Yum. I want some right now...

loritamic said...

And HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

Sarah said...

that is a good resolution to have. I love baking and pretty much bake every other week. I'm hoping when I move into my new apartment I can bake some more things!

Robyn said...

Banana bread secret. Substitute some of the oil from the recipie with peanut butter. I did this because I didn't have enough oil and thought peanut butter would do. The bread turned out really moist and tasty! And, yes, I admit I buy bananas and don't eat them with the intention of making banana bread. And, if you want to add nuts, macadamian nuts are a good substitute for pecans.