Wednesday, September 16, 2009

A Work Story

One of my bosses, whom I don’t have a particular liking for and, who (unfortunately) I spend the most time with has this tendency to like to stay home. She works from home, she goes home early, she comes in late, she calls in sick (but then participates in conference calls so she can call it a work day). It’s so frustrating, because it’s so obvious she’s A) faking it or B) not as sick as she says she is. I have much more respect for a person who is quiet about being sick - who tells me once, and then goes home. Because if they're lying, at least they're not trying to play it up.

Yesterday, she left with a “migraine.” It’s her favorite thing to do. She complains of a migraine for about twenty minutes, tells me over and over that she’s “going to throw up,” and never does, then leaves at 2:00. This morning, she came inside my personal bubble, sat her coffee down right next to me (for a second I thought she had brought me coffee and I was very confused) and says, “I don’t know how long I’m going to last today – I’ve already been to the bathroom three times this morning.”

My response came out, “Oh?” but what I was really thinking was, “Okay, number 1 – I don’t need to know that. Number 2 – if that’s the case, I don’t want you anywhere near me. And number 3 – even if you were feeling perfectly fine, I still don’t want you sitting on my desk, ten inches from my elbow.”

There’s something about being an assistant that makes everyone think they can invade your personal workspace with no problem. It bugs me. I hate people coming up behind me and watching what I’m doing. And this particular person is notorious for that. In fact, the other day, she came into my desk space, saw something that needed approval and signed it. I just saw as she was going to sign a second one and said, “Woah! Those aren’t yours!” Then, I got to spend a few minutes whiting out her signature so I could take it to the right person.

Oh what joys I get to experience every day.

1 comment:

Susan said...

Hi Jenn,

Please think about submitting this to my site: http://Tellmeaworkstory.com

I'm a college prof who's studying stories from work settings. No names, no company identities, just stories!

I enjoy your writing. Good luck.

Susan