Friday, January 15, 2010

Marital Bliss

Every now and then, the Mister and I have one of those nights where we are just one. We are together. We are present. We enjoy each other. And no, I’m not talking about the Biblical sense of “together.” (But that's nice, too.)

The last few nights I’ve gone to bed alone. Spent the whole evening alone, in fact, as the Mister worked diligently on a project that came due yesterday afternoon. He spent the time in his shop, being One with his tools, while I spent time being One with the bed and my books. It was a bit sad, since I’d just spent an entire weekend away, but it was an obligation he had, and he wasn’t about to shirk it. (You hear that 7th grade English teacher? I used one of our vocab words. FINALLY.)

We got into bed, both exhausted, and I thought it would only be moments before we were both asleep. But we spent time giggling, and talking, cuddling, and being silly. We played, we laughed, and he read Lord of the Rings to me. Somewhere in the midst of this, I demanded a date from my Mister. An honest-to-goodness date. Sure, we go out a lot, but it’s rare that I feel like we’re out on a date. We just… do stuff. We sit and play a game, and then we decide to go to the bookstore, and we go our separate ways (me to look at design books or fiction, him to look at history books or art), and only meet up an hour later when we’re both ready to head out.

So, tonight I’m going on a date. With my Mister. A date that I asked for, nay, DEMANDED in order to remind us that we’re married, and haven’t spent more than an hour together in the last week.

Last night I fell asleep, cuddling in my Mister’s “nook” as he read to me. We both fell asleep that way - in each other's arms - a rarity, as I usually get too hot to cuddle for long, and he has trouble sleeping on his back. But we did, and it was heavenly.

I’m pretty sure this is what they were talking about when they refer to “marital bliss.”

No comments: