Saturday, January 30, 2010

Snow Day

In winter, Oklahoma is usually lucky to get a dusting of snow and one ice storm that leaves half our cities without power and the power companies scramble to get people back online. This winter, though, not only did we get a white Christmas (which I’m not sure has happened since I was a very little girl), we also spent the last two days being bombarded by snow and ice. It is gorgeous outside, and I am sitting in my little window seat, watching the world outside.

The only cars passing on the nearby arterial road are SUVs and trucks, and I watch as they fishtail their way through. The equipment rental company that makes its home two doors down from us is open, of course. The workmen would be shamed and their man-card revoked if they weren’t able to conquer a little snow and ice to make it to work in their 4x4s, Fords, Dodges or what have you. Although, on days like this, I can’t imagine who would be going to rent a ladder or a cherry picker.

Needless to say, my trip to Dallas is probably cancelled (I haven’t heard from the MIL since a few days ago), and I have to say that I’m relieved. Not because I didn’t want to go, but because, well, I am a WRECK in any other weather than perfect dry roads. Seriously. White knuckles, strained back, tension headaches. I don’t deal well with rain or snow. So, I’m mentally planning my day – cleaning, homework, reading, and some hot chocolate.

Snow day!

No comments: