Thursday, February 18, 2010

A Brief Update on Life

It has been a busy few weeks. But I don’t need to tell you that.

I went skiing at Copper Mountain with the family. It was fun, but at times a little strained. I was so happy each day to get to the mountain, to feel the wind on my face, to feel my legs burning from the exercise, to feel the warm slowly leak out of my fingers. If I could live near a mountain, I’d be on it every weekend, blasting my way through the snow. Alas, I live in Oklahoma.

On the last day of the trip, I got a call from my mother, which she began by saying, “This is a bad call.”

Turns out, my grandmother died. It wasn’t unexpected, as she’s been in and out of the hospital practically every month for the last year or so. My parents have spent a lot of time visiting her and my grandfather recently, as they’ve been in a nursing home and have needed all the cheering that they could get. But even when something is expected, it’s still not easy, and I was sad to see my Grandmother's passing. My father is one step closer to being the oldest in his family, and I know that has to be a bit daunting.

My grandmother was a depression-era kind of woman. She raised five kids on a small budget, made her gravy with water, could sew anything from scratch, and insisted when I got the flu at her house once that it was just “homesickness.” But she loved her grandkids, and I still have the last gift she ever got for me on her own – a silly bracelet with charms all over it. It’s not my style, but I wear it anyway, knowing she picked it out. She knew I loved jewelry, and she did her best. I didn’t expect to get very emotional at the funeral, because I haven’t seen much of my grandparents over the last few years, but I found myself sitting in the pew, thinking about all the great times we had at their house. Thanksgivings were always my favorite. I realized how much I missed being a little kid, staying with my grandparents. Even though they weren’t the spoiling type, they still loved us in their own way.

Since then I’ve been sick, and the Mister tried to give my sicky self the sweetest valentines he could, even if it was overshadowed by the funeral and the family. I’m still pretty exhausted, but coming out of it. And now it’s time to start spending more time with my books. The next month is going to be crazy, and I’m not sure I’m ready. But I’ve got to be. So wish me luck.

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Hey Jennifer,
Sorry to hear about your grandmother. I know exactly how you feel. That's how I felt when my grandmother passed away. She was never the "grand-motherly" type but she had a huge influence on me (and still does).

I hope you get to feeling better. Being sick sucks!

Lori said...

Hey girl. Just caught up on your blog today. I'm sorry to hear about your loss as well. It's never easy no matter how prepared you are. Celebrate her life through you!