Monday, February 22, 2010

Icky-Sicky - Tricky, Tricky

What started last Sunday with a sore throat and general achy-ness has spent all week camping out in my body. It threw in dizziness and congestion for good measure, and kept up the sore throat until this morning.

Today I finally sound like I’ve felt all week. But today, I feel better. The good part is that it’s proof – “Look! I really AM sick!” I’ve been going home from work in mid-afternoon, exhausted, spent hours upon hours laying on my couch in a nearly comatose state, watching episodes of Lost and trying to get up the energy to do more than that. The illness has worn out its welcome, and this week, I am ready to take back my freedom.

I will start by making meatloaf and mashed potatoes tonight for dinner. I’ve had the Pioneer Woman’s recipe in mind since early last week; my body is craving comfort food. I might also start my laundry, and do some homework. It will be the most productive day I’ve had in over a week.

I’m still tired, but it’s a different kind of tired. It’s a tired that can be overcome, unlike the tired of last week, which was an all-consuming, can’t move an inch kind of tired.

There are only two weeks left until we leave for Europe, on a whirlwind tour of Paris and Valencia, and each day I get more excited, and more scared. I’m thrilled we’re doing it, but it’s such a scary adventure, not knowing if my French will get us through it without being thoroughly ripped off. Zut alors!

2 comments:

Robyn said...

Jennifer, I am confident that your French will be fine. If I can still remember how to say "who is that?" and "where are my keys?" in French, you will be fine. Make Madame Smith proud!

Shannon of ** Happiness Is...** said...

Hope you feel better! And I'm so jealous of your upcoming Paris adventures. Hope you post some pics here when you return :) xo