Monday, March 15, 2010

Almost Au Revoir

Today is our last full day in Paris. (Insert pouty face here.) We've been able to do nearly everything we've set out to do. Here, in no particular order are the things we've seen/done/enjoyed:
  • 6 hours at the Louvre, including visits to the "Big 3" - Winged Victory of Samenthrace, Venus de Milo and the Mona Lisa (which was surrounded by tiny asian tourists with HUGE cameras)
  • 4-hour Segway tour of Paris, which - despite the dork factor - I would totally recommend
  • Ate a nutella crepe in the Tuleries
  • Stayed out late enough to miss the last metro of the night, and took a cab ride back with a cabby who greeted us by saying, "Yes we can! Obama!"
  • Saw the Musee d'Orsay, and declared my new favorite old painter as Manet
  • Visited Napoleon's tomb (if you aren't sure about his ego, take a gander of that thing -- holy egotism, batman!)
  • Saw the Eiffel Tower, in the daytime and at night
  • Went to the top of the Arc de Triomphe
  • Walked through Notre Dame
  • Drank French wine at every dinner
  • Saw a mime on the street
  • Ate baguette, escargot, steak tartare and lots of cheese
  • Successfully navigated my way home without a map
  • Walked through Montmartre and experienced the circus it is
On the agenda for today:
  • Find macaroons
  • Shop
  • Visit the Holocaust Memorial
  • Have fallafel
  • Let it sink in that tomorrow we leave for Spain
I'm terribly sad to leave Paris. We've had such a lovely time here, and have enjoyed ourselves every moment. My feet have the blisters and calluses to prove it. Our time in Spain will be completely opposite, spent mostly eating, drinking and not seeing sights. The city we're going to is not a big cultural hotspot, but will be mostly about partying and enjoying ourselves.

So, au revoir, Paris. I will do my best to love you as much as I can today.

Edit: I forgot to mention that I got a very kind email from the Haven in Paris team, assuring me that my late arrival wouldn't be charged. They wanted to ensure I had an excellent time in Paris, not to start it with such a stressful day. I was pleasantly surprised by their concern, as I had resigned myself to paying the fee, fair or not. Luckily, it looks like our greeter may have just been a bit grumpy (and I can't totally blame her, having to wait for so long for us), and now we've learned from the experience. Needless to say, next time I come to Paris, we will do what we can to have this apartment again!

1 comment:

Cheri said...

I'm so glad you two are having such a wonderful time. I hope you took lots of pictures.

Now on to the fireworks!