Wednesday, June 9, 2010

The Young Gun Vs. Technology

Our CEO, The Young Gun (see more about him here, or here, or here) and technology must be mortal enemies or something. Or, The Young Gun is just hopelessly inept when it comes to computers. His Crackberry he’s mastered, but a laptop? Not so much. A few examples of this:

Exhibit A.) Our office has experienced some indoor rain in the last year -- unfortunate byproducts of heavy construction. Rain on desks, on monitors, on keyboards but – knock on wood – not on anyone’s computer. A few months ago, it rained in the Young Gun’s office. Very little of his office got wet, and it mostly just ran down the walls. But one of the leaks was dangerously close to his computer docking station and printer. The morning after these leaks happened, The Young Gun arrived at work shortly after I did and breezed into his office. About five minutes later, he breezed back out.

“My computer station must have gotten fried by the rain," he said. "We’ll need to order a new a new docking station; it doesn’t work anymore. And my printer won’t work either. I’ll work in the board room today while it’s sorted out.” Concerned, I went in to investigate. There, below his desk, I saw the plug beneath his desk looking as if it might not be plugged in all the way. I crouched down, shoved it into the plug and his printer and docking station breathed to life. I went into the board room, where he hadn’t even had time to turn on his computer.

“I plugged in your docking station and printer. They should be working fine now.” I’m pretty sure I was smirking when I said it. What can I say? I’m a smartass.

Exhibit B.) Shortly after the first incident, we had another leak. The Young Gun announced that now his printer really wasn’t working and wouldn’t print. I kept forgetting to take a look at it or call IT to do so, but one day, I finally went in while he was at a meeting. I opened a document and clicked “print.” The dialog box showed me that a printer across the office (Printer1) was selected, rather than The Young Gun’s Printer on his desk (TYG1). So, I selected TYG1 and hit print. Like magic, paper came out with exactly the same image I was seeing on the screen!! So, just being proactive, I went into The Young Gun’s printer controls and made TYG1 the default printer for all print jobs. Then, when The Young Gun returned from his meeting, I smiled and said, “Your printer is fixed.”
“How?” he asked.
“Magic,” I said.

Sometimes it’s best not to reveal your methods.


Exhibit C.) About a year ago, The Young Gun’s wireless mouse stopped working. He brought it out to me, handing me the USB and mouse and asked me to get him a new one. When he returned, I gave him his mouse back.

“It works now!”

“How?” he asked.

“I put new batteries in.”

His face lit up with surprise - “It has batteries??”



He is endlessly entertaining. Endlessly.

And for those keeping score at home, that would be:
Technology - 3
Young Gun - 0

5 comments:

amjadbutt said...

I’ve gotten good feedbacks from ASUS. Elonex ONE, I haven’t heard of yet. Thank you for this post. I have gotten information I needed to know, the comments helped as well.
Cheap Printer

amjadbutt said...

I’ve gotten good feedbacks from ASUS. Elonex ONE, I haven’t heard of yet. Thank you for this post. I have gotten information I needed to know, the comments helped as well.
Seiko Mens Watches

amjadbutt said...

your blog is very nice and good posting all comments
swiss army mens watches

Cheri said...

I have to ask. Does The Young Gun read this blog?

Jenn said...

No, but his wife does. She finds it humorous... so far.