Monday, November 29, 2010

Notes on Camp

Over labor day weekend, we took a trip to Minnesota for a camp reunion. I wrote up a post and then never put it up. Now is as good a time as any, I think...


I spent this weekend being still. Now and again, I would reach for my phone, or a book, or my computer, and I would stop myself. I was out in the beautiful country of Minnesota, on a lake, amidst the woods, with a cool breeze and great friends. There was no reason to occupy myself with other things. So, I sat. I watched sailboats on the lake. I paid attention to the way the grass crinkled under my feet. I looked at the stars. And I was still.


We spent this weekend at (in my humble opinion) the best boy’s camp in the nation – Camp Chippewa. Of course, I’m biased, because my Mister worked there for several years, and attended the camp himself. But it’s a real camp. They canoe, they kayak, they learn archery and riflery and camping skills. They play soccer and softball. They learn to swim, and they get involved in absurd camp games like the Counselor Hunt and “Scatterball” (which is a frightening free-for-all version of Dodgeball in which there are no teams and people are constantly attacking one another). The camp is run by an incredible group of people with the truest intentions – to bring up boys in a world where they can live in nature for four weeks and absolutely love it. They make real friends they keep for life, and they get away from the world for a few weeks.


It was at this camp where I truly fell in love with my Mister. We were up there for a summer three years ago (well, I was at a neighboring girl’s camp), and I learned that not only was he intelligent and interesting, he could also put an arrow into the center of a target that looked to be a bazillion feet away, and he could lead a group of boys into the wilderness for 11 days without batting an eye. We wrote letters to one another that summer, and he kept journals on his canoe trips to bring home to me. By the end of the summer, I knew I would marry him, and only three months later, we were engaged. It was so nice to return, and to stand on the same spot where I looked at him and thought to myself for the first time, “I can’t wait to have children with that man.”

No comments: