Tuesday, August 30, 2011

This is What I Do

From reading other blogs, I’m starting to learn that some day-to-day activities are worth writing about. I find it interesting knowing what people are doing each day. And I know looking back that my own life will be interesting. So, here, in no particular order, is what I’ve been up to:

I’m yet again training for a half marathon. The Mister and I have been doing it together this year, which has been nice. Each Saturday morning, we get up at the ungodly hour of 5:30 a.m. to meet a training group put together by RunnersWorld Tulsa by 5:45. I feel really lucky that we have such a great organization here in Tulsa. They put together routes, water stops, find group leaders for pace groups and give us weekly encouragement through email. This week will be 9 miles – a distance PR for the Mister. Saturday’s route isn’t exciting like some of our routes that have taken us through downtown Tulsa and around some of the most beautiful historic neighborhoods, but it will be a welcome rest. It’s a down-and-back on Riverparks trail, which is mostly flat, and very easy. We’ve been running hills every week for what seems like forever. By the time of the race, I’ll feel grateful, but right now I’m just annoyed at how hard it is.

I’m thisclose to starting my thesis research. Right now I’m going back and forth with my adviser on my prospectus for my committee members. I give it to them today (I hope) and meet with my committee in full for the first time on September 9. That’s a pretty big deal, as it will give me their complete input on my research before I finalize IRB applications and submit for review. With any luck, after this meeting, I’ll be able to submit my applications by September 15, and be ready to begin my research by October 3. Exciting. Terrifying. This is the life of a graduate student.

Work is becoming more responsibility. So far this year, I’ve been to Kansas City twice, Phoenix, and there are plans for another trip to Kansas City and possibly Dallas as well. Somehow, I’ve avoided going to our corporate offices in Chicago so far. Although, I’m hoping at some point to get up that direction. Maybe it’ll coincide with a weekend, and I can make a mini-vacay out of it. Who am I kidding, though? They’ll send me up on a Tuesday night, I’ll have to stay in Zion (which has been described as “the armpit” of the state by many of my coworkers), and they’ll pack me so tightly with meetings and dinners that I’ll be lucky to see the inside of my hotel room for more than 6 hours. For sleep. But really, getting to do any travel is pretty exciting, so I’m not complaining too much.

Home has been pretty calm lately. Greg accidentally flushed one of my hair product bottles down the toilet (don’t ask how – he CLAIMS it was an accident), and now we’re pretty sure the toilet is down for the count. During the process of trying to fix it, however, we discovered that if you take the toilet in the backyard and fill the tank and bowl, you can flush it just like in the house. And it sounds EXACTLY the same. Perhaps it’s sad that this fascinates me, but I live an exciting life, so there you go. I’m crossing my fingers that by the end of September we’ll have a new toilet in the bathroom and a new planter in the backyard to go with our “bathroom gardening” theme. We might have to paint the toilet blue, though.

No comments: