Thursday, December 29, 2016

Tales from the Stay-at-Home Mom

Next week marks my first week as a true stay-at-home mom (SAHM from here forward for brevity's sake). I'm nervous, excited and worried. I have never been sure I would like this, but I know that now is the time to give it a shot. So here I go.

Since it's a new year, I thought I should put some goals to my year at home, and maybe I can keep up with some of the stuff I want to do:

1. Writing

I've neglected to write much of anything since having kids. I'd like to spend some time every week writing. With Marie's naps, it shouldn't be too hard to take a couple of hours a week to do that.

2. Meal Planning

I want to actually plan my groceries properly. Stop letting food spoil in the fridge. Start paying attention to sales and getting the cheap veggies and fruits. Have easy leftovers for lunches. So it's time to start true meal planning.

3. Budgeting

This is something I've always struggled with, but now that I'll be home, I can spend some real time looking at my budgets, analyzing what I'm spending and paying attention to how money is going out of our house. I know I can shop smarter, use services like Ebates and iBotta to get money back on what I'm spending. So now is the time to really dig into what I'm doing.

4. Exercising

This year, I'm running a marathon, come hell or high water. So it's time to sign up, and get serious about running again. I never feel better about what kind of shape I'm in than when I'm running long distances. I want to be healthy, happy and in shape by this time next year. I could care less what number is on the scale, as long as I fit in my clothes.

5. Home Improving

There are a ton of little things I need to do to make our house a home. And now that I'm going to actually BE home, I can do them. I need to give myself the power and the training to do things I always leave to Greg. All I need is a few YouTube videos and some motiviation, and I can do great things to our house.


That's it. Five things. I can focus on those things, and maybe by the end of this year at home, I might just want to do another one.

No comments: